Friday, October 23, 2009

Paragraph 3 "Tainted Love" Is Piped In

Flower, my friend.

~~sigh~~ I love TV. I've spent enough time around snobby people in my life to feel like this is a confession. Too bad. TV is awesome. If someone with surgical powers asked me if I'd rather have both kidneys or TV, I would be minus one kidney. Hells bells, I'd give up a sibling before I gave up cable.

I do like some things more than others on TV but I will watch almost anything. I cannot watch golf or award shows though. Life is too short for that. I also like TV as background. TV while I knit, cook, maybe even blog. What's more stress relieving than "Top Cat" meandering around the room while you, a non-cook, have to make dinner for 10? I'm not going to get that kind of emotional help from the radio or a friend.

So where is the criticism? You know there's going to be one, Flower.

Here it is. Why isn't the music staying in the background? You are watching a drama and at some special moment in comes music. Not only music but a song, a song sung. Sometimes the musical moment arrives during the build up, sometimes the climax, sometimes the denouement, but it's there. Dialog has ceased, a song begins and shots of doctors with their head in their hands or doctors next to a patient covered with tubes or doctors doing their work and looking at one another longingly. And. This devise isn't restricted to Dr Drama. No. Often times it's lawyers, parents, classmates or the guy who owns the pet shop who are having their important music moment.

Can I tell you honestly what I think of this? It's cheap. Write some dialog Scriptwriter that will express whatever poignant, sentimental, frustrating, loving emotion needed at that place in the plot. OK? And Director?? The same goes for you, Lazy. Stop using the indulgent overlay of overwrought pop noise to get your point across. It's been done to death. Drop the Drama 101 template and get an idea of your own.

Don't take my love away!
Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment