Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Darlings


Here where I live in the Northeast we are having Weather. Yesterday we got snow, sleet and ice and today we are getting more snow. In like a lion, right?

I wish could say the same for my snow day read, The Darlings by Cristina Alger. In this debut novel, a financial thriller, Alger was unable to convince me why I should care about stereotypical, self centered, extremely rich characters who might lose all their money and their family owned investment company in a Madoff-esque event.

The only real interest—and it was mild-- I had in The Darlings was wondering if Alger had meant to reference Peter Pan by naming her family the Darlings. Is it that the financial crisis is putting an end to living in Neverland?  Deep.
I could have stopped reading The Darlings at any time and gone on to lead a full and happy life. So why didn't I? Blame it on the snow day. Coziness won over literary merit.
It’s been a long time since I read as big a snooze fest as The Darlings. The cover is attractive though.

No comments:

Post a Comment