Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 4th Eve

Flower my fellow citizen,

It's the 4th of July Eve. Time to acknowledge how grateful I am to be an American and how much I love the U.S. Why do I feel the need to add a caveat to my love? To point out that I recognize there are problems in the U.S. and many things I don't like about it but that I love it Overall. Is that because of who I am or because The Media and/or other people make me feel like I'm some sort of a dolt if I don't publically admit to my homeland being imperfect when I publically admit to loving it? Loving your country of origin, if you're American, is totally uncool. Well I'm uncool in a lot more ways that just this one. So bring it on.


I have traveled outside of the U.S. a lot. I have seen gorgeous vistas, gasped in awe at buildings and art, met interesting and wonderful people, eaten food both yum-tastic and scary and bought books and yarn on four continents. Traveling is exciting. It is something that I never want to stop doing. It doesn't matter where I go everything seems exotic when at the end of the day I am not going to sleep on my own pillow. Seeing what I have of the world has made me love my own country more. It's created a sizable chunk of gratitude in my heart that will never diminish. I have learned that there really is no place like home.

I am a free person because of where I was lucky enough to be born. The only thing I have ever done to earn that freedom is to vote and how difficult is that? I'm from a country with a stable government, opportunities, optimism and freedom and that makes me exceptionally lucky.

There is one little thing. It's hardly worth mentioning except that it bothers me. It's come closer to keeping me awake at night than any other thought ever has. ...Why has there never been a really good or even just ok movie about The Revolutionary War? Civil War? Check. WWI ? Check. All other wars with the exception of The War of 1812? Check. Nothing worth watching about the start of U.S.? Isn't that odd? Is this some sort of conspiracy? It's not as if war movies were so rarely made during Hollywood's golden age.

The only movies I can think of is  Revolution ,The Patriot and Johnny Tremain. Revolution is as God-awful as any movie ever gets, Patriot and Johnny are ok but is that the best that can be done?

Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment