Saturday, March 24, 2012

Game Of Thrones Why Do You Toy With Me?

Game of Thrones what the heck is wrong with you? It's all so annoying my friends.

I did not see Game of Thrones when it aired on TV but over the years I have read and enjoyed the first four novels in the series. I don't get HBO. Oh well. The problem right now is Game of Thrones on DVD--which I bought (pre-ordered even) and have now returned and had replacement copies sent to me four times.

What's going on here? I have had plenty of time to think about that while I await my fourth copy of the boxed set of season one to arrive. Each of my previous copies of Game have been damaged in different ways although all of the damages have been the result of packaging. The plastic wells that hold each DVD have been cracked, the little sunburst things that hold the discs in those wells have been broken, the booklet in the case has arrived looking like origami and once one of the discs was missing.

Can we talk a moment about the amount of packaging used on this boxed set? The two slip cases and then a fold out case for five discs. Ten episodes on five discs. I realize that ten on five makes for easy math but these episodes are an hour long. They couldn't have done this all on three discs? Ten divided by three isn't even-steven but it is less packaging all way around. And. Maybe a tad less expensive?

I will freely admit I am a picky-pants when it comes to the purchases of books and DVDs. I buy them new and I expect them to be pristine. If I was willing to accept cracks, rips, bends, etc. I would buy them used. I am really, really looking forward to watching Game of Thrones and I have heard nothing but good things about it but I can wait to watch it until I have a copy that is physically worth what it is costing me to buy it. Is that so wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment