Thursday, April 12, 2012

How Greedy Is J.K. Rowling?

J.K. Rowling's first adult novel, The Casual Vacancy, is being released in September 2012.

As someone who has worked in bookselling for 25 years believe me I know what a Big Deal this news is on many levels. As a reader who was never captured by the Harry Potter novels the news is of mild interest. As a consumer who buys on average ten to twenty books a month I am outraged that The Casual Vacancy is priced at $35.00.

$35.00. I kid you not. That the book is already heavily discounted for pre-publication sales at many places is a separate issue. Little Brown has priced this novel at $35.00. Why? Obviously because they think that this is what the market will bare. Do you think this book will be worth $35.00?

As the Harry Potter books came out their prices out paced the average adult hardcover novel by about $10.00 and were on average $17.00 more than other hardcover YA novels. Why? Because people were willing to pay that much for them. The whole thing was a phenomenon.

Although as I've said I have no desire to read The Casual Vacancy, I do have four relatives that will want it as soon as it is available. Ordinarily, as the book provider in the family I would buy them each a copy (As I did with all of the Potter novels.) but I'm not going to do that. I refuse to spend my money on this overpriced book. Let Little Brown and J.K. Rowling be as money grubbing as they want to be I am not going to contribute to their wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment