Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snow and Movies and Books and my Mom

Flower,  


Today was our first snow. The snow wasn't just a couple flakes. It snowed most of the day and evening but with almost no accumulation. It was chubby, wet snow falling onto not yet frozen ground. It was beautiful. I spent most of the day watching it fall, drinking tea and reading in a very comfy seat. It was a not my real life kind of day, but it was so delightful and something everyone should get a chance to do.

The day made me think a lot about my Mom. First snow was one of the random things she insisted be wished upon. Others included: the first bale of hay you see in the fall, brightly colored sunsets, the first day of the month, etc. The list is long and I am sure I don't remember them all. She did also include all the regular things like birthday candles and stars. I never asked her about the wish-ability of all these things. I accepted that the wishing was to be done and that was that.




It's a perfect cap to the day that her favorite movie is on tv right now. It's Random Harvest made in 1942 starring Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson and directed by Mervyn LeRoy. It is a wonderful movie. It's romantic and gorgeous looking and sounding. Of course it's one my favs too. If you have never seen it, it is worth your going out of your way to see. It's the kind of fantastic movie that transports you and reminds you how unappealing most movies made today are.

I love my Mom,
Happy

P.S.  The movie Random Harvest is based on the novel of the same name by James Hilton. It's is a very good novel and different from the movie in unusual and interesting ways. Too sad though it is out of print. ~~~sigh~~~ Another good book for publishers to revive. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment